Sunday, May 13, 2012

Freezer Cooking

In January I started freezer cooking, an awesome idea I stole from my MIL, Lea Ann!  So far it has worked out fantastic for our family and this Saturday it was time for a big grocery shop/cook so I decided it would be my Saturday blog (which I was too tired to actually post on Saturday).

The process started on Friday night getting my list and coupons ready then I hit Kroger! 

I actually thought I would cook Friday night so I didn't have to mess with it on Saturday but Kroger was out of rotisserie chickens and that is a staple in my cooking plan.  I did start Friday by getting all of my containers out and my ingredients ready. 

We were in no big hurry on Saturday morning and when I say "we," I really mean WE!  My husband is amazing when we do a big cook.  He takes on the role of sous chef and does all they icky things like keeping the pots and pans washed, grating the cheese, stuffing the burritos, etc. 

I'm really glad I didn't start on Friday night because it would have been a late one!  About 2.5 hours after we started we have food to last us 3 or 4 weeks, yahooo!! 
I made 2 pans of lasagna, a batch of tomato basil soup, Mexican chicken Alfredo, 2 packs of salmon marinating in a maple butter glaze, teryaki chicken, filling for 2 pans of Mexican casserole, taco meat, black bean, corn and beef nacho mix, chicken and cheese quesadillas and a ton of chicken and black bean burritos!!  Yes, my family really loves Mexican food!
I think our favorites are the burritos!  They are excellent for lunch or a quick dinner and super healthy!  Yes, I did make way more than 3 but Blake had already loaded them into the freezer and it seemed silly to pull them all out just to take their picture.  So I pulled these lucky guys back out :)
The restocked fridge!!  Using ziploc bags instead of containers for the meats and sauces was an excellent trick!

And here is the mess we were left with :(  I did tackle the kitchen but not before I laid down and rested for a little while.  I mean, it is Mother's Day weekend after all!

1 comment:

  1. I love that you guys make this a family event! I actually had some baked ziti out of my freezer tonight. I need to restock mine soon!

    ReplyDelete